Wellness Clinics are an established part of the SPCA’s commitment to client service and to improve patient care.
Each year, members who visit our clinics annually for the vaccination booster and medical examination of their dog or cat have 2 options:
There are two types of Wellness Exam packages available to clients depending on the age of their pet (as disease risks increase in older pets):
What are the reasons behind the Wellness Exam?
- Wellness Exams were developed by the SPCA to reflect similar changes in human medicine and veterinary medicine worldwide, with an emphasis on preventative medicine
- Preventative medicine means to prevent problems from happening, rather than dealing with them when they do – examples include vaccinations, heartworm prevention, flea and worm treatments and, of course, sound veterinary advice on diet, exercise etc
- A key advantage of Wellness Exams is the blood, urine and faecal testing that they include. Many problems may not be apparent on external exam, even to a vet. With such problems early detection is best, allowing for earlier advice, dietary changes and treatment.
Common examples include:
Even if everything is normal, which of course we hope for, that information is still very useful in case of future sudden illness or an emergency.
- Renal disease (a slowing down of kidney function)
- Liver disease
- Hormonal diseases such as diabetes, Cushing’s disease (mainly dogs) and thyroid disease (mainly cats)
The full Wellness Exam and vaccination package includes:
- 30 minute in depth consultation and exam (checking all body systems) with individual pet report cards provided for client reference
- Annual vaccination either DHPPiL* for dogs or FVRCP** for cats
- General health blood profile (Biochemistry, Haematology and Electrolytes) tailored to age
- For cats over 7 years of age a thyroid blood test
- Faecal and urine testing
- Anal gland expressing and nail clipping as necessary
- Blood pressure measurement
- Discussion on nutrition, exercise and behaviour / training as necessary
*DHPPiL: Canine Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza and Leptospirosis
**FVRCP: Feline Rhinotrachietis and Calici virus (Cat Flu) and Panleucopenia.
Please note it is possible to schedule a wellness check without a vaccination if you are concerned about your pet and would like a full medical.
Optional extras* (or recommendations) available to clients include:
- Other vaccinations: Kennel Cough or Rabies (including either AVID or ISO microchips)
- Eyes: Dry eye, eye stain or glaucoma testing
- Heartworm testing
- Feline Leukaemia and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus testing
- Further blood or laboratory tests e.g. rabies serology (for pet passport scheme), liver function tests and thyroid function tests (included for cats over 7 years of age)
- Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Animal Rehabilitation (Physiotherapy)
- Ultrasound scanning
- Repeat blood pressure checks
- Dentistry (descaling, polishing +/- extractions)
- Behaviour and Training
*Please note some of the above may require an additional visit to be scheduled.
Keep your pet healthy and happy book a wellness exam package today!
For more information, please call 2802 0501 or any of our SPCA centres.
All Proceeds From Veterinary Services Support Animal Welfare